DeKalb County Health Dept.

Potable Water & Sewage Disposal

The primary goal of the Potable Water Program is to ensure proper installation and repair of all privately owned water wells. Environmental Health Practitioners also test water from privately owned water wells. The program enforces local and state laws and ordinances pertaining to potable water.

The primary goal of the Sewage Disposal Program is to prevent the transmission of disease caused by exposure to sewage. The program ensures proper installation and repair of all privately owned sewage disposal systems. The program enforces local and state laws and ordinances pertaining to sewage disposal.

Contact Us

Phone: 815-758- 6673
Fax: 815-748-2485


Environmental Health & Animal Control Fees .pdf


Freedom of Information Action (FOIA) (pdf)
Private Sewage Disposal System Application (pdf)
Real Estate Inspection Request Application (pdf)
Site Verification
Water Well Pump Permit Application(pdf)

Water Well Pump Installation Report (pdf)
Water Well Construction Report Instructions (pdf)
Water Well Construction Report (pdf)
Water Well Sealing Form (pdf)
DeKalb County Sewage Installer Application (pdf)
DeKalb County Sewage Pumper Application (pdf)


After the Flood (pdf)
Freezing Problems & Septic Systems   (pdf)
Septic System Warnings   (pdf)
Septic Installers   (pdf)
ISCA Certified Professional Soil Classifiers (pdf)
Septic Pumpers
Well Drillers
Online Training for Homeowners with a water well (pdf)


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Do I need a permit to drill a well?
A: Yes. Your licensed well driller, by law, must obtain a permit from the health department.

Q: How can I get my private well water tested?
A: Call the Environmental Health Division to learn about your options for well water testing.

Q: What should I do if there is an abandoned well on my property?
A: An unused water well, commonly known as an “abandoned well,” can pose a health and safety hazard if it is improperly sealed.  By law, a home owner must have an abandoned well properly sealed. Home owners can contact a licensed well driller to properly seal the well, or seal the well themselves if they contact the Environmental Health Division to schedule an appointment.

Q. How do I get a copy of the plans for my existing well or septic system?
A: Records of well drilling and septic system installations can be released to the homeowner. Call the Environmental Health Division for information on how to obtain a copy.

Q: Should I put enzymes or additives into my onsite wastewater treatment system to
help it work better?
A: The DeKalb County Health Department does not recommend the use of septic tank additives. Additionally, some additives may negatively impact groundwater quality.

Q: Do I need a permit to install or repair my septic system?
A: Yes. All septic system installations, repairs or modifications in DeKalb County must be done by Illinois Department of Public Health Licensed Septic System Installation Contractors. Call the Environmental Health Division for more information.

Q: How do I dispose of old or unused medications to keep them out of the water supply?
A: Do not flush old or unused medications. This puts them directly into the water supply. Lehan Drugs in DeKalb will accept some medications.  The DeKalb County Sheriff’s Department will accept controlled substances.  For a diagram of water contaminants and how they enter our water supply, go to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) (pdf)

Laws and Regulations

DeKalb County Code – Water Wells and Waste and Sewage Disposal (PDF)

Additional information regarding state codes related to water and sewage can be found in Title 77 of the Illinois Administrative Code
2013 IDPH private sewage code (PDF)
2013 IDPH private water code (PDF)


Additional Questions

For more information regarding the Well/Septic Program, call the Health Department at 815-748-2479, or email staff at: (DeKalb County, Illinois).