Covid-19 Updates

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Do I have to have a permit to open a restaurant?
A: Yes, in most cases. However, there are some exceptions.  Call for details.

Q: How do I apply for a permit?
A: New facility: Once the physical structure has been determined to be adequate, the owner completes the application and pays the required application fee. Applications are provided by the inspector at the pre-operation inspection.
Change of ownership of existing facility: Contact the Health Department for procedure.

Q: How long does the plan review process take?
A: Generally about a week is adequate for the entire process.

Q: Do I have to submit architectural plans?
A: No.  However, all submitted plans must be to scale with the scale clearly noted on the plan.

Q: Are permits transferable from one owner to another?
A: No.

Q: Are permits transferable from one location to another (same owner)?
A: No.

Q: How often are food establishments inspected?
A: Frequency of routine inspections is based on the establishments risk assessment. Category 1 establishments are inspected 3 times per year. Category 2 establishments are inspected one to two times per year, and Category 3 establishments at least once a year. The terms Category 1, 2, 3 describe operational features of the establishment rather than the likelihood of unsafe food practices. All routine inspections are unannounced.