What is lead poisoning?
Lead poisoning is too much lead in the body. Lead is especially harmful to the small bodies of children younger than 6 years of age. Many children throughout the United States are exposed to lead. Lead is a toxic chemical; no safe level of lead in the body has been determined. Current research indicates that adverse outcomes may occur at less than or equal to 10 µg/dL.
What can I do to protect my child from lead exposure?
The only way to prevent damage from lead is to prevent exposure to lead. Learn if you have lead in your home. If your home was built before 1978 or you do not know when your home was built, assume it has lead. Before you sign a lease, ask the landlord about lead. Before you buy a home, have it inspected for lead. Lead gets into dust and dirt. Children eat lead by getting it on their hands and toys and then putting them in their mouths. Wash your children’s hands before they eat. Damp clean all horizontal surfaces often including floors and window sills.