Covid-19 Updates

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Do I need a permit to drill a well?
A: Yes. By law a permit must obtained from the health department.

Q: How can I get my private well water tested?
A: Call the Environmental Health Division to learn about your options for well water testing.

Q: What should I do if there is an abandoned well on my property?
A: An unused water well, commonly known as an “abandoned well,” can pose a health and safety hazard if it is
improperly sealed. By law, a home owner must have an abandoned well properly sealed. Home owners can contact
a licensed well driller to properly seal the well, or seal the well themselves if they contact the Environmental Health
Division to schedule an appointment.

Q. How do I get a copy of the plans for my existing well or septic system?
A: Records of well drilling and septic system installations can be released to the homeowner. Call the Environmental
Health Division for information on how to obtain a copy.

Q: Should I put enzymes or additives into my onsite wastewater treatment system to
help it work better?
A: The DeKalb County Health Department does not recommend the use of septic tank additives. Additionally, some
additives may negatively impact groundwater quality.

Q: Do I need a permit to install or repair my septic system?
A: Yes. All septic system installations, repairs or modifications in DeKalb County must be done by Illinois Department
of Public Health Licensed Septic System Installation Contractors. Call the Environmental Health Division for more

Q: How do I dispose of old or unused medications to keep them out of the water supply?
A: Do not flush old or unused medications. This puts them directly into the water supply. Lehan Drugs in DeKalb will
accept some medications. The DeKalb County Sheriff’s Department will accept controlled substances. For a
diagram of water contaminants and how they enter our water supply, go to the Environmental Protection Agency
(EPA) (pdf)