Covid-19 Updates

Frequently Asked Questions

Q) What foods does WIC provide?
A) Women and children may receive milk, cheese, eggs, juice, yogurt, tofu, whole grains cereals, dry canned beans or peanut butter, fresh fruits and vegetables, and a whole grain option (whole wheat bread, oatmeal, brown rice, soft corn tortillas). Breastfeeding women may also receive tuna fish, pink salmon, as well as extra cheese, juice, beans & peanut butter. Newborns that are not breastfeeding receive formula. Starting at 6 months of age, infants receive infant cereal and infant baby food. For infants 9-12 months old, fruits and vegetables (not pureed baby food) may be provided.

Q) What kinds of breastfeeding assistance do you provide?
A) WIC has certified lactation counselors on staff that are available M-F as needed. WIC has a dedicated place to breastfeed your infant and can assist you in getting your own breast pump.

Q) What do I need to bring to an appointment?
A) Bring the following to your first WIC appointment:

  • Two (2) pay stubs within the last 30 days for each employed family member, or a letter from your employer with your monthly income
  • Proof of identity such as a WIC ID card
  • Current driver’s license or state ID
  • Proof of identity for children can be a birth certificate or hospital ID bracelet
  • Proof of residency such as mail postmarked in the last 60 days, a residential lease or a utility bill.

Q) How long will my appointment take?
A) Appointment times vary.  For your first appointment, please allow 1 – 2 hours depending on family size.  You may bring a beverage and snack from home.

Q) What will happen at my appointment?
A) After reviewing your health, medical, and nutrition history, a nutritionist or public health nurse will share health and nutrition information and answer your questions. You will receive up to 3 months of food benefits on your WIC EBT card.

Q) Where can I use my WIC EBT card?
A) You will get a list of grocery stores that take WIC EBT and a WIC food list. You can also sign up for the BNFT app to be able to scan UPC codes to receive the correct WIC food items. Visit for more information.

Q) What if I lose my WIC EBT card?
A) WIC can provide another EBT card during normal business hours.

Q) When can my baby start solids?
A) WIC follows the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) guidelines, which recommend babies start solid foods at 6 months.

Q) Are diapers offered through WIC?
A) Diapers are not offered, but we can refer you to other resources.

Q) Can I get WIC and food stamps (SNAP)?
A) Yes, you can apply for both. You can apply for WIC at the DeKalb County Health Department and SNAP at the local Department of Human Services office.